Wednesday, December 30, 2009

FILM: Churchill Was a Badass

[Image:toddborger.files.wordpress.com]

I just watched a couple of Winston Churchill HBO biopics, The Gathering Storm and Into the Storm. The latter was definitely better than the former, though I’m not sure whether that had more to do with the fact that it focused on Churchill during the war, which to me is just way more fascinating.

These films have totally reawakened my interest in the WWII period and Churchill in particular. It made me wonder whether we as a society could cope with a similar crisis today. Do we have leaders like Churchill this day in age? Are we even capable of placing so much trust and faith in one person in the face of possible cultural annihilation? More importantly, could our leaders allow the fragile balance of power that currently reigns on the world stage to deteriorate to the point that another world war breaks out?

Bottom line, Churchill was a badass.

--------------------------------------

Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"

Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it.”

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. His role in WWII was unparalleled and pivotal. It was as if divine providence placed him on earth for that one incredible purpose. And as a bonus, we got a lifetime of wonderful quotes and delicious exchanges between that silly Mrs. Astor and him.

    ReplyDelete